Search This Blog

Friday, April 15, 2011

Cowboys vs. Zombies: Henry Golden Boy and Zombie Targets

Think of this as a bit of a follow-up of my On the Edge rimfire review of the Henry Golden Boy .22LR lever-action rifle.  Or, think of it simply as me goofing off at the range with my favorite rifle.  Either way, for today's Shooting From the Hip, I decided to take my Henry out to see how it would match up against that iconic denizen of B horror flicks:  the zombie!

Recently, on a trip to a local gun store, Brackin's Gun Alley (I will try to do a gunshop review soon), I was excited to discover that along with the standard silhouettes, bullseyes, and Dirty Bird splatter targets, Brackin's also had some of the Zombie Targets in stock.  Now, I love zombies --  zombie movies, zombie books, zombie t.v. shows, zombie video games.  As I said in a previous post, I am a nerd, and zombiephilia is one of my many nerdy traits.  So, needless to say, I did not leave the Gun Alley empty-handed:  I picked up five of the zombie targets, the Zombie Osama targets, to be exact (I also picked up a Zombie Hunting License).



(Image courtesy of zombietargets.net)  So, today, after spending the better part of the day digging up a portion of my yard in order to fix a broken drain line (courtesy of a drunk driver barely missing my house, by the way), I decided to try out one of the targets and redirect some of my frustration in a positive manner.  Grabbing a target, I also picked up my Henry, a bulk box of Remington Golden Bullets, and headed to the range.  It has been a very blustery day in East Tennessee today, and Zombie Osama was not terribly keen on staying put on my target stand, but that added a bit of realism to my shooting, since his head was bobbing and weaving in the stiff (20 - 30 MPH, with gusts up to 60MPH at times) breeze.  My target stand was actually blown over a couple of times.  Nevertheless, I persevered...  and had a great time, too.  These shots were at 50 yards, using the iron sights.  My first 15 shots were, of course, to Zombie Osama's head...  his left eye, to be precise.


My second set of 12 rounds (more on this later) went to his chest, right around his left nipple.


The next 15 rounds went to his right chest region.



And finally, to his right shoulder / underarm area.



As you can see, none of these groups are extremely tight, but with the wind blowing as hard as it was, and the target moving around, I thought the rifle did extremely well.  After my initial frustration at the wind, I actually began to enjoy the added difficulty of shooting the moving target.  The second set of shots I fired, I had three misfires, which I have to say is unusual, since I rarely have misfires with the Remington Golden Bullets (Thunderbolts are a completely different story, however).  All three casings exhibited deep firing pin marks in the rim, so I know it was not an issue with the rifle.  There were no other issues at all during this shooting session.

The more I shoot my Henry, the better I like it.  The action continues to be exceptionally smooth.  The positive ejection of spent casings is remarkable:  it tosses the empties about seven to eight feet to the right.  And I am getting more used to the buckhorn sights.  I believe with more practice, I will become much more proficient with the rifle, and then perhaps my shooting will do this fine rifle the justice that it is due.  And when the living dead start roaming the earth, I will feel quite safe knowing I have my Golden Boy close at hand.

For more information, or to order your own Zombie Targets (they also offer the Zombie Hunting Permit, as well as stickers and t-shirts), please visit their website.  Shooting paper is fun, but shooting Zombies is awesome!!!

Zombie Targets
770-624-4185
http://www.zombietargets.net/

No comments:

Post a Comment