Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The $500 AR 15 Project -- My Plum Crazy DPMS Sportical

The AR 15...  for many, it is the end-all be-all of rifle platforms.  And for good reason:  it can be just about anything you want it to be.  From short barrel patrol rifle to long range, heavy barreled varmint gun, the modular nature of the AR 15 lends itself to customization like no other weapon.  Stocks, handguards, pistol grips, sights, barrels, gas blocks, fire control groups...  there is nothing on an AR that cannot be made to match a particular shooter's preferences.  Even caliber is up for grabs:  the standard 5.56 / .223 can quickly become a .204, 5.45, 6.8, 7.62, 9mm, or even .22LR.  The choices are seemingly endless.

And in spite of this, I have never owned an AR platform.  And to be honest, until recently, I have not felt as though I have been missing anything.  I have been very happy with my .22s, my SKS, and my milsurps.  And I suppose I still thought of the AR in terms of the original M16s that our boys in 'Nam got saddled with -- clumsy, prone to jam, impossible to keep clean, and generally disparaged by those veterans who chose to share their stories with me about their time in the service.  Now, a lot has changed since the Sixties (thank God), and the AR has benefited from some technological enhancements that have made the platform much more reliable.  The direct impingement gas system still needs care and cleaning, but you need not be fanatical in your fastidiousness anymore.

Recently, I had a change of mind, and decided I would like to join the thousands of AR enthusiasts and see what I have been missing.  And to do so, I also decided to undertake a sort of self-imposed challenge:  to build a lightweight AR, and to do so for $500.

Now, those of you who have ARs know that this is a nearly impossible task.  Nevertheless, I had an ace up my sleeve.  There is a company in Arizona called PCF manufacturing who turns out polymer AR lowers (C-15) under the name brand "Plum Crazy."  These lowers are made of a "space-age" teflon-impregnated polymer, designed to near mil-spec dimensions, meaning that they will mate with just about any mil-spec AR 15 upper. And these lowers cost $130...  complete.  That's right, this is a complete lower, including fire control group, bolt catch, mag release, and six-position collapsible stock, all for $130.  Interestingly, the fire control group includes a polymer hammer and trigger, the mag catch and release are polymer, and even the take-down pin and pivot pin are polymer.  All of this equals reduced weight.

(Image courtesy of clark-corner.com)  Before I went Plum Crazy, I did a lot of research on the product.  I have had several polymer pistols, as well as polymer stocked rifles (a .30-'06 and an SKS, for example), so I am not too worried about the polymer not being able to handle the stresses involved.  Especially considering the majority of stress is absorbed by the upper on an AR.  I did come across a few instances of lowers that had broken, but for every bad experience I found, I read three or four positive reviews.  And more often than not, the naysayers were not owners of the Plum Crazy firearms, but "knew a guy who had a friend who's brother had one blow up..."  Not exactly dealing with raw data in that situation.

Most importantly, however, is that the company PCF Mfg. offers a 100% lifetime warranty on their products. I dig a company that will stand behind its product.  And even the few people I found who had experienced broken receivers (usually their own fault due to dropping the gun or torquing the receiver while trying to mate it to the upper) had found the company quick to replace their lower.  And they are made in the USA.  I figured it would be worth a try.  It certainly helps my bottom line, both with weight and cost.

Luckily for me, a local gun shop, Brackin's Gun Alley stocks the Plum Crazy (March 2013 update:  unfortunately, I can no longer recommend Brackin's Gun Alley, and I will just leave it at that).  I was able to pre-order one for $130, which means that after background and tax, I was out $153.  When I got the receiver, I was suitably impressed.  The lower seemed well made, and was thicker and stronger than I had imagined.  The finish has a few minor molding remnants on it, but could be easily removed.  The trigger was what astonished me, however...  while not a match group by any stretch, it is very crisp, with little to no slop, and breaks cleanly at between  4.5 and 5 lbs.  Extremely good for a stock trigger in this day and age.  The one thing that I found fault in is the safety.  An AR safety is designed such that it cannot be engaged if the hammer is in the forward position -- the hammer must be cocked back before you can put the safety on.  The Plum Crazy safety, however, can be engaged while the hammer is forward.  Not a deal breaker, but it means it is not mil-spec in this regard, and is something that prospective owners should be aware of.

Now that I had my lower, I needed an upper to go with it.  In keeping with my light weight requirement, I knew I was going to be looking at a pencil profile barrel, most likely the minimum 16".  I also decided to look at some "slick side" receivers:  receivers that do not have the forward assist, shell deflector, or dust cover.  As a lot of AR fans will point out, these uppers are not mil-spec, but then, neither am I.  I am not going to be heading out to the sandbox anytime soon, so I really do not need the dust-cover...  this is a plinker, plain and simple.  Forward assist is just a way of getting a few more shots in before cleaning your gun, or for forcing a frozen bolt forward in sub-zero temperatures, and is not necessary for my purposes, either.  And lastly, as a righty, the shell deflector would do me no good at all.

So, keeping this in mind, I decided to go with the DPMS Sportical 5.56 upper from MidwayUSA.  The Sportical is designed on the lo-pro receiver, meaning flat-top, no sights, and a railed gas block.  It is designed for someone who is going to add optics to their AR (which I am...  I have a red / green dot sight that needs a good home).  It also comes with your choice of pencil profile or heavy barrel, both in 1 in 9" twist.

(Image courtesy of midwayusa.com)  Well, it just so happens that MidwayUSA had these uppers on sale for $360.  So I ordered one.  I got it via UPS today, and I assembled the lower and upper this afternoon.  Having read about the tight fit many Plum Crazy owners were experiencing, I was poised to expect a difficult time assembling the rifle.  It was not to be, however:  the pivot went together quite easily, and the rear of the receivers popped right together with just a little pressure from the heel of my hand.  Both pins went in snugly, and the two halves fit as though they were made for one another.

I finally had my AR.  And I came in just over my goal of $500, at $513.  Well, almost.  I forgot the magazine.  A quick trip down the road to the gun shop fixed that.  Add a 30 round steel magazine for $14, and that brings us to a grand total of $527.  If it weren't for Tennessee's insane sales tax and the background check, I would have made it.

So, I didn't make my goal of $500, but I came close enough to make me happy.  This rifle isn't going to make the front page of ARF.COM, and I am sure that many AR purists will turn their noses up at it, but it fits me well.  I quite like it so far.  Especially the way this gun shoots.  It is almost ridiculously light, just over 6lbs with red dot and 30 round magazine.  I may look at adding back-up iron sights at some point, but for now, for my purposes, the red dot is sufficient.  I think it is going to be a great little rifle.  I have put 25 rounds through it (Federal .223 bulk box 55 gr. FMJ), to sight in the red dot, and to break in the barrel, cleaning after each round per the instructions from DPMS.  Each round chambered and fired flawlessly, spent brass was positively ejected to my right, and the plastic lower hasn't blown up yet.  When I get through the break-in process, I will post some pictures or a video of how it is shooting.  It may be time to break out another Osama bin Zombie target!!

Update:  I picked up a set of iron sights at Tri-Cities Gun Depot this week, and switched them out for the red dot.  Here are some pictures of the Plum Crazy Sportical setup:




11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the write up...I was about to pull the trigger on this EXACT same setup before I came across your article, and now that I see you've had good luck, I am for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Hanz! Just to let you know, I now have over two hundred rounds through it (mostly Federal .223 FMJ, but about 40 rounds of Federal 5.56 ball ammo) and no problems at all. It is a sweet shooter... I am beginning to understand why so many people swear by the 5.56 cartridge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just pulled the trigger on the exact same set up here in Kalifornia except my plum crazy lower was more expensive. Looking forwards to shooting this baby. You have any problems with mags?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only problem I have had, Clint, is with a 30-round metal mag. It is teflon coated, and it does not want to drop free when I engage the mag release. It functions fine with regard to feeding cartridges, so I continue to use it (tactical mag changes are not something I have started practicing at this point). The polymer 20-round Thermold mags feed fine and drop free, as does a 30-round grey metal surplus mag, so it must just be the teflon coating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got some pmags and they drop free nicely, plus got the 10/30rd version

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just bought my first pmag this week, Clint, and as you said, it drops free just fine. I got a 30-round Maglevel pmag (with the window). I will probably get a few more, as I really like this particular magazine thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah ive had no issues with the 3 mags i got. they look and function really good.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my plum crazy firearm lower just busted near the takedown pin...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that Heather, but thank you for letting us know. I have over a thousand rounds through mine thus far and no problems as yet, but I have seen several pictures online of failures similar to what you have mentioned. It is starting to look like some poor quality control on PCF's end is letting some faulty lowers get through. Did the breakage occur while shooting, or were you taking the firearm down at the time? Any information you can give us might be of help to those of us who have these lowers.

      Delete
  9. I think I am going to do a similar build except I'm going with a New Frontier complete lower, we'll see how it holds up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard very good things about the New Frontier lowers. Good luck with your build, and keep us posted!

      Delete